Wednesday, October 21, 2009

It's been a while

Between the start of the school year, moving into a new apartment, Phillies postseason madness, and general life occurrences (babies, engagements, looking to go back to school, and police boyfriends - only the last two being mine), I have been severely neglectful of this blog.

So in this moment I will leave you with this brief story:
One of my students is fixated on curse words. He will find any way possible to work them into his school work, artwork, and computer programs. One day he was in the library with his homeroom class and was flipping through a rather large dictionary. He found the braille alphabet and proceeded to write one word over and over using braille. Below is what he wrote:


The ingenuity of children fascinates me. Especially when used to do something naughty that they know will get them a whole lot of attention and reaction from adults.

So I leave you with 2 tasks, dear friends:
1) Do your research and find what my buddy wrote. It isn't that hard to do.
2) Think about how you would react to such a thing. It was all I could do not to laugh. We in fact had to take away the paper (although it really could do no harm- the 'braille' he wrote was with a pencil), but don't you want to just reward the kid for his out-of-the-box thinking? Ah, the conundrums of being an educator.

No comments:

Post a Comment