Saturday, January 30, 2010

"I had to deal with more than JUST Autism this week."

Just Autism? JUST Autism? Sheesh. That's when I know people have not had the immense joy and heartbreak of loving and working with people with Autism.

To say it briefly, it has been a long week. I have definitely dipped well into my funds of patience (running out on my daily allotments and being too frazzled to tuck into my reserves), not giggled enough, or had as many hearty laughs as I usually do in these past few days. I need to figure out a way to communicate that there is a better way to say, "Hey! I missed you while you were out sick!" than slamming a door in a person's face, telling said person you hate them and will turn into an x-men to kill said person with your powers, and pulling behavior you haven't done in over a year. Dude, I love you and missed you, too. Next time, let's just draw a picture of swings in perspective and chat about how much you love "pop donuts" so much and want to listen to Beyonce.

Quizzo at my high-school last night. Always strangely wonderful to be with people you liked when you were 13 and still like now at 25, enjoying some sanctioned drinking in the gym, while your former disciplinarian hugs you and dances by the bleachers with you and your friends. We certainly did not come in first, but we were not in last place so that calls for a victory!

Another friend reunion today followed by seeing John for the first time since Tuesday. It feels like years since I've seen him instead of days. I know functional love in a relationship means being able to operate independently of each other and with each other, but I never expected to miss someone the way I miss him. I am unsure of our plans this evening since we have 3 different options and I am in the throws of an extended illness (ah, the hazards of working in an elementary school).

I am also fighting off the very potent craving for a puppy. I know rationally that a puppy would be a bad idea (and not fair to the pup), but the part of me that has been beat up and sad for a little while now really just needs a furry little bundle of energy and joy with soft ears and puppy smells and teeth to wriggle around in my arms and chase a tennis ball with reckless abandon. Perfectly reasonable, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment